Tuesday 7 March 2017

Annoyingly talented

I saw Bill Bailey on tour last year. Like everyone else I'd seen him in various guises on quiz shows and doing stand up. I knew he could play music pretty well but, even so, wasn't prepared for how prodigiously talented he was on so many instruments in so many genres. I guess his problem as a musician is that no-one will take him seriously as you expect satire all the time.
As a naturalist he has the same problem...when to drop the humour and when to just enjoy his enthusiasm for the natural environment. I don't think it really matters. I can't bear anyone who takes themselves too seriously anyway and twitchers are the worst.
Bill's Remarkable Guide to British Birds is a rubbish guide but is full of surreal little cartoons, off the wall information and anecdotes. This is how it should be. It's just a shame he is so remarkably and annoyingly talented. A bit like the Herring Gull which he describes as the "Gimlet-eyed snaffler of a million battered sausages."

No comments:

Post a Comment