Wednesday 29 March 2017

Patterns

There are no straight lines in my body nor most people I know. So why do we live in square boxes? Do you know how difficult it is to get a builder to do a bendy wall with curvy bricks?
The problem is we like patterns. We like to organise the visual world into lines, dots and symmetrical squiggles because it helps us interpret it as data. 1s and 0s.
I received a V&A Pattern book based on Sanderson 1954-74. You've probably guessed by now it's not a bodice-ripping best seller but it is very pleasing to the eye.
This illustration is not Trio (Triad1) which I would have liked to have used because I don't trust the Trustees not to enforce  copyright restrictions even though the book comes with a handy CD of beautiful images. So this is my sketch interpretation of a field boundary marked by an old hedgerow tree that didn't get grubbed out when the farmer decided he wanted to draw the plough lines up to the edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment